|Antibacterial and antidiarrheal activity of Butea Monospermea bark extract against waterborne enterobacter Cloacae in rodents: In-vitro, Ex-vivo and In-Vivo evidences|
Publication date: 15 September 2019
Source: Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Volume 241
Author(s): Divya Sharma, Saraswati Patel, Kanika Verma, Shiva Gudlawar, Dipjyoti Chakraborty, Sarvesh Paliwal, Jaya Dwivedi, Swapnil Sharma
Ethnopharmacological relevanceButea monosperma (Lam.) Taub. (family Leguminosae), popularly known as ‘Palash’ possess numerous medicinal properties since ancient times. According to the Wealth of India, stem bark of this plant exhibits various therapeutic properties like antimicrobial, astringent, styptic, aphrodisiac, and anti-inflammatory.
Aim of the studyThe purpose of the present study was to investigate antibacterial and antidiarrheal effect of B. monosperma bark against newly isolated gram negative pathogenic bacterial strain Enterobacter cloacae.
Materials and methodsAqueous extract of B. monosperma bark (BMAqE) was subjected to LC-MS/MS analysis for determination of bioactive components. Antibacterial study of BMAqE was assessed using bacterial growth kinetic study, fluorescence spectroscopy, outer and inner membrane permeability assay, dehydrogenase inhibitory assay and protein leakage assay followed by field emission scanning electron microscope (FE-SEM) study. Antidiarrheal activity was studied using castor oil induced diarrhea model in albino rats followed by histopathology studies of rat ileum.
ResultsLC-MS/MS analysis of BMAqE revealed presence of twenty-two different active phytoconstituents out of which most of the constituents belong to flavonoid and polyphenol family. BMAqE showed MIC and MBC (IC90) value of 5 and 200 μg/mL against targeted bacterial strain. BMAqE exhibited potent and dose dependent bactericidal effect via disruption of integrity of bacterial cell membrane, enzymatic degradation, leakage of intracellular protein and ruptured bacterial cell. In castor oil induced diarrhea model, BMAqE (200 mg/kg; orally) caused marked reduction (75.66%) in the frequency of defecation and mean weight of faeces (0.54 ± 0.04) when compared to control group (2.26 ± 0.25). Histopathology study revealed marked restoration of cellular architecture of rat ileum tissue. Four known flavonoids were isolated from BMAqE using column chromatography. In ex-vivo study, BMAqE (0.0002, 0.0004 and 0.0006 g/L) and isolated flavonoids i.e. rhamnetin, quercetin, kaempferol and catechin (0.5, 5 & 50 μm) produced a significant (p < 0.001) change in EC50 and indicated competitive phenomena via rightward shift of acetylcholine CRC with pA2 of 3.78, 8.0, 7.1, 7.0 and 6.9 respectively.
ConclusionBMAqE exhibits impressive antibacterial and anti-diarrheal activity and can be effectively used to eradicate water borne diseases.
- ► Ιουλίου (1374)
- Medicine by Alexandros G. Sfakianakis,Anapafseos 5...
- Contact Dermatitis : Improved metal allergen react...
- Contact urticaria (CU): frequency, elicitors and c...
- Fibreglass dermatitis in a caravan manufacturer ma...
- Adding sorbitan sesquioleate to the European basel...
- Cutaneous adverse drug reaction induced by oral de...
- Improved metal allergen reactivity of artificial s...
- Industrial Psychiatry
- Hot Topics in Otolaryngology
- Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology
- Addictive Behaviors
- Douleurs post-radiques après radiothérapie pour ca...
- Stereotactic radiotherapy in targeted therapy tre...
- Radiothérapie en conditions stéréotaxiques : ét...
- Cytokine & Growth Factor
- Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Clinical Characteristics and Microsurgery Treatme...
- Scalp Arteriovenous Malformation Resection With N...
- Composite Nasoseptal Flap for Palate Reconstructi...
- Pediatric Blood Management Protocol in Cranial Vau...
- Dermal-Fat Graft for Facial Contouring in Patient...
- Craniofacial Surgery
- Trauma and Acute Care Surgery
- Thyroid Cancer Bone Metastasis: Survival and Genom...
- Clinical Nuclear Medicine
- Dengue infection complicated by hemophagocytic lym...
- Timing of HPV16-E6 antibody seroconversion before ...
- Microbial Ecology
- Mental Health
- Sex Roles
- Abdominal Radiology
- Behavior Analysis
- Der Chirurg
- Genes & Genomics
- Heart Failure
- Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
- Cultural Heritage
- Urologie und Urogynäkologie/Österreich
- Antibacterial and antidiarrheal activity of Bute...
- Neoline is the active ingredient of processed ac...
- Anti-aggregant effect of butanolic extract of Rubi...
- The contribution of beta-2 adrenergic, muscarinic ...
- A lipid-soluble extract of Pinellia pedatisecta S...
- Binding of the polysaccharide from Acanthopanax gi...
- ▼ Ιουν 16 (65)
- ► Μαΐου (1977)
- ► Απριλίου (727)
- ► Μαρτίου (364)
- ► Φεβρουαρίου (1145)
Κυριακή, 16 Ιουνίου 2019
Αναρτήθηκε από Medicine by Alexandros G. Sfakianakis,Anapafseos 5 Agios Nikolaos 72100 Crete Greece,00302841026182,00306932607174,email@example.com, στις 1:50 π.μ.
Ετικέτες 00302841026182, 00306932607174, firstname.lastname@example.org, Anapafseos 5 Agios Nikolaos 72100 Crete Greece, Medicine by Alexandros G. Sfakianakis